Sequence gaps after restart

From: Christopher Sumner <christopher(dot)sumner(at)adimab(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Sequence gaps after restart
Date: 2021-05-11 15:54:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello.

I'm using PostgreSQL v. 10.14 via AWS Aurora Serverless. Our users
recently noticed gaps in the primary ids for many of our tables. As I
understand it, this is due to PostgreSQL effectively caching 32 additional
sequence values (hardcoded in sequence.c ) and a 'restart' occurs. Losing
a few sequence values is normal and generally acceptable. However, this
problem seems to be exacerbated by the scaling events of Aurora Serverless
as they require restarts of the Postgresql service. I do not allow AWS AS
to force the scaling in our environment. When scaling events happen 10's of
times per day, the loss is significant.

Are there any plans to fix this issue or otherwise play nicely with Aurora
Serverless?

Thanks.

-Chris

--
This message may be confidential and privileged. Use or disclosure by
anyone other than an intended addressee is prohibited. If you received this