Re: libpq 11.10 / 11.11 are not propertly released for bionic

From: Aaron Pavely <aaron(at)pavely(dot)net>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Saif Hakim <saif(at)benchling(dot)com>, pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq 11.10 / 11.11 are not propertly released for bionic
Date: 2021-02-15 02:53:44
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 2:53 PM Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> wrote:

> That said, you shouldn't worry about libpq5 11 - using the 13 version
> from the "main" repository component is the recommended way. I guess
> the fact that no one has spotted that problem before means no one is
> actually using the "11" and the other versioned components.

Actually, I received a few complaints the other day from developers for the
bionic-pgdg/9.6 component when 9.6.21 was pushed, so Saif's issue was not
an isolated incident. At the time, I saw that the 'Packages' file was
similarly last updated in November. Everything looks good now, though.

While I recommend to my teams use the 'main' component for libpq, there
continues to be fear among many that libpq versions mismatched from the
parent database cluster version may cause unexpected issues — even after I
point out that the database cluster itself is using the most recent release
of libpq from the 'main' component.

Aaron