Re: URGENT issue: pg-xlog growing on master!

From: bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Niels Kristian Schjødt <nielskristian(at)autouncle(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org list" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: URGENT issue: pg-xlog growing on master!
Date: 2013-06-10 15:51:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Niels Kristian Schjødt <
nielskristian(at)autouncle(dot)com> wrote:

> I can't seem to figure out which steps I need to do, to get the standby
> server wiped and get it started as a streaming replication again from
> scratch. I tried to follow the steps, from step 6, in here
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication but the process
> seems to fail when I reach the point where I try to do a psql -c "SELECT
> pg_stop_backup()". It just says:

If you use pg_basebackup you don't need to manually put the master into
backup mode.
Be aware that if you are generating a lot of WAL segments and your
filesystem backup is large (and takes a while to ship to the slave), you
will need to set "wal_keep_segments" quite high on the master to prevent
the segments from disappearing during the setup of the slave -- or at least
that's the case when you use "--xlog-method=stream".