Re: ERROR: invalid page in block 1226710 of relation base/16750/27244

From: bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: invalid page in block 1226710 of relation base/16750/27244
Date: 2015-10-22 15:12:41
Lists: pgsql-general

A follow-up question if I may,

> bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> > Yes, it is definitely a table. There was originally an index on that
>> table
>> > which threw the original error (about sibling mismatch). I dropped the
>> > index and attempted to recreate it, which failed. Further investigation
>> led
>> > to discovery of corruption in the table.

There are several hot standby servers attached to the master, some
streaming, and one in a different data centre that is using WAL shipping
only.
The streaming slave IIRC got the corruption from the master (I can't check
now, it was rebuilt).
What would have happened to the WAL-shipping-only standby if the WALs were
all applied? Would it have it balked at applying a WAL containing bad data
from the master, or would it have applied the WAL and continued on? For the
latter, would physical corruption on the master even transfer via WAL?

I didn't get a chance to answer those questions because we promoted the DR
WAL-shipping standby before it got to the corrupted section.

Thanks,

Bricklen