Re: Failover with a tertiary read-only secondary

From: bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hammerman, Joseph" <JosephHammerman(at)iheartmedia(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Failover with a tertiary read-only secondary
Date: 2017-03-31 18:40:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Hammerman, Joseph <
JosephHammerman(at)iheartmedia(dot)com> wrote:

> 1. Not a bad idea, but that only delays the necessity of a resync
> until the next failover…. Unless I’m missing something?
>
> I've used cascading replication extensively over the past few years and
rarely had to resync a downstream replica. The several thousand Postgres
clusters I'm administering now are almost exclusively set up with the
primary replica streaming from the master and the master shipping WALs to
the secondary replica in DR data centre, so I can't test any cascading
replication promotions at the moment. My suggestion is to test your
replication setup in a cascade and see what happens, I don't expect you'll
need to resync. If you do, report back with how you've set up your
replication settings.