Re: Streaming Replication - Error on Standby

From: bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: bobJobS <russelljanusz(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming Replication - Error on Standby
Date: 2014-02-11 19:35:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM, bobJobS <russelljanusz(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> To get the standby server to a point, I tool a globals dump and a data dump
> of the primary server and build the standby.
>
> Then I executed pg_startbackup, rsync data dir to standby data dir (to
> catch
> any changes made while I was building the standby) and finally
> pg_stopbackup... all on the primary.

The steps you are using will not work. You cannot use a pg_dump/pg_dump
backup from a master to set up a slave. pg_dump generates a "logical"
backup, which is used for recovery not setting up slaves. A very
high-level view of the replication setup:
- put the master in backup mode
- pg_basebackup of the master to the slave (no slave data exists prior to
this step)
- take the master out of backup mode