PostGIS Out-DB Raster Not Behaving As Expected

From: Osahon Oduware <osahon(dot)gis(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostGIS Out-DB Raster Not Behaving As Expected
Date: 2017-04-11 02:42:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

I created an out-db raster using the following syntax:

raster2pgsql -s {srid} -c -R -I -C -F -t auto {absolute_file_path}
public.{table} | psql -h {host} -p {port} -d {database} -U {user}

The table was created successfully. I wanted to confirm that the actual
file is being read from the location in the filesystem by performing the
following steps:
1) I moved the raster file to a different location.
2) I opened QGIS and attempted to load the raster from PostGIS table.

I was surprised that QGIS could load the file. *How is this possible when
the actual raster data is not stored in the database table?*