pg_start_backup('label',true) why do I need 2nd parameter?

From: AI Rumman <rummandba(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_start_backup('label',true) why do I need 2nd parameter?
Date: 2013-11-05 23:30:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

A few days back, I faced a problem where I *pg_start_backup('label') *was
hang in the server forever.
I stopped the process and then used *pg_start_backup('label',true) *and it
worked.

Now I am trying to investigate why I need to use true as second parameter
and read the doc
"There is an optional second parameter of type boolean. If true, it
specifies executing pg_start_backup as quickly as possible. This forces an
immediate checkpoint which will cause a spike in I/O operations, slowing
any concurrently executing queries."

I tried to regenerate the scenario where *pg_start_backup('label')
*hanged and
I failed.
Any idea, how can I regenerate that issue to investigate.

I am using Postgresql 9.2.

Thanks.