password in recovery.conf

From: Nelson Green <nelsongreen84(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: password in recovery.conf
Date: 2014-09-26 19:58:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

I am setting up a streaming replication stand-by, and the replication role
password has a single quote in it. I am unable to properly reference the
password in the conninfo setting of recovery.conf so it will authenticate
to the master. Doubling the quote gives me a syntax error, and escaping it
or quoting it with double-quotes gives me an authentication error. The
password is correct because I can copy it from the recovery.conf and supply
it when prompted by pg_basebackup, so if I may, what is the proper way to
handle single quotes within the conninfo string?

Obviously I can change the password, but we use an automated password
generator so I'd like to not have to keep generating passwords, and
checking them, until I get one that will work, unless that my only option.

Thanks,
Nelson