Re: password in recovery.conf [SOLVED]

From: Nelson Green <nelsongreen84(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: password in recovery.conf [SOLVED]
Date: 2014-09-27 10:47:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 09/26/2014 04:32 PM, Nelson Green wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Adrian Klaver
>>

> Doubling the quote seems to work here.
>>

>> Thanks Bosco, DrakoRod, and Adrian. Between the three of you it became
>> obvious
>> that I was doing something wrong. And yes, in the end you were right.
>> Doubling
>> the quote does indeed work.
>>
>> It turns out it this particular password also had a \ in it, and my
>> console
>> width wrapped right before it, putting it as the first character on the
>> next
>> line, where I just didn't notice it until a few minutes ago. I changed
>> that to
>> a ^ for the time being, and then doubled the quote whereupon it all
>> worked. I
>> will certainly look into how to escape the backslash too, but that's for
>> next
>> week at this point.
>>

> aklaver(at)panda:~> psql 'dbname=test user=test_user password=test\\pwd'
> psql (9.0.17)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> test=>

Thanks again Adrian! Figures it's that easy.

Confession time. When I'm trying to work through something like this where
different iterations are going to be tried, I sit down and spell them out
first.
But since I was remoted in and things were going so slow (and I was pretty
tired), I just tried different combinations on the single quote. When I
noticed
the backslash I tried to double it, but with no luck. However, in all
honesty I
don't know what I was doing with the single quote at that particular moment.
Bottom line is I probably shot myself in the foot in several ways with this
one.

I appreciate the patience with me.
Nelson