Re: Last inserted row id with complex PK

From: Nelson Green <nelsongreen84(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Last inserted row id with complex PK
Date: 2014-01-08 18:14:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>wrote:

> Hi Nelson:
>
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Nelson Green <nelsongreen84(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > I have a projects log table with a three column PK, project_num,
> person_num,
> > and sequence, where each new entry for a project/person combination
> > increments the sequence, which is not an auto incrementing sequence. Is
> > there any way to retrieve the last entry to the table? For instance, if
> the
> > last entry for person 427 on project 15 was sequence number 125, is that
> > information available to me anywhere?
>
> SELECT MAX(sequence) FROM project_log_table WHERE person_num=427 AND
> project_num=15

Hi Francisco,

My apologies, I was not completely clear. I will not know any of the
columns in advance. The most recent insert is the result of user input from
a web form, so I won't know what project or what user generated the last
insert. That was why I wandered if that information was stored anywhere in
the system.