Re: POC: make mxidoff 64 bits

From: wenhui qiu <qiuwenhuifx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: make mxidoff 64 bits
Date: 2024-10-25 03:38:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

HI Maxim Orlov
> After a bit of thought, I've realized that to be conservative here is the
way to go.
>We can reuse a maximum of existing logic. I mean, we can remove offset
wraparound "error logic" and reuse "warning logic". But set the threshold
for "warning >logic" to a much higher value. For now, I choose 2^32-1. In
other world, legit logic, in my view, here would be to trigger autovacuum
if the number of offsets (i.e. >difference nextOffset - oldestOffset)
exceeds 2^32-1. PFA patch set.
good point ,Couldn't agree with you more. xid64 is the solution to the
wraparound problem,The previous error log is no longer meaningful ,But we
might want to refine the output waring log a little(For example, checking
the underlying reasons why age has been increasing),Though we don't have to
worry about xid wraparound

+/*
+ * Multixact members warning threshold.
+ *
+ * If difference bettween nextOffset and oldestOffset exceed this value, we
+ * trigger autovacuum in order to release the disk space if possible.
+ */
+#define MULTIXACT_MEMBER_AUTOVAC_THRESHOLD UINT64CONST(0xFFFFFFFF)
Can we refine this annotation a bit? for example
+/*
+ * Multixact members warning threshold.
+ *
+ * If difference bettween nextOffset and oldestOffset exceed this value, we
+ * trigger autovacuum in order to release the disk space ,reduce table
bloat if possible.
+ */
+#define MULTIXACT_MEMBER_AUTOVAC_THRESHOLD UINT64CONST(0xFFFFFFFF)

Thanks

Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com> 于2024年10月23日周三 23:55写道: