Re: Slow HashAggregate/cache access

From: Alexandre de Arruda Paes <adaldeia(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow HashAggregate/cache access
Date: 2015-08-05 19:29:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

Kevin:

Second machine config parameters:

shared_buffers = 8GB
work_mem = 1 GB (was 512MB)
maintenace_work_mem = 4 GB

#seq_page_cost = 1.0
#cpu_tuple_cost = 0.01
#cpu_index_tuple_cost = 0.005
#cpu_operator_cost = 0.0025

random_page_cost = 2.0
effective_cache_size = 110GB

I try to change from_collapse_limit, join_collapse_limit and io_con, w/o
success.

I create a database with this tables only, vaccum analyze them and test
with only my connection to postgresql.
Now we have another querys(all with aggregates) that the time is 15x - 20x
slower than Oracle and SQL Server.
All tables have indexes (btree) with fields in the where/order/group
parameters.

Maxim:

The developer is changing from a Desktop application (ODBC with Use
Declare/Fetch, 'single' querys with local summing and aggregation) for a
client/server web application (.NET, most querys with aggregate). Unfortunattly
we cant change this querys, but I will try your solution to see what
happens.

Take a look at another big query generated by the development tool.
Oracle/SQL Server runs the same query (with the same data but in a slow
machine) in about 2 seconds:

http://explain.depesz.com/s/wxq

Best regards,

Alexandre