Re: Messy data models (Re: Visualize database schema)

From: Sébastien Lorion <sl(at)thestrangefactory(dot)com>
To: Wolfgang Keller <feliphil(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Messy data models (Re: Visualize database schema)
Date: 2012-08-17 22:07:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Short answer: no. Even with a good auto-layout, nothing (up to now) beats a
human made one because the latter will incorporate semantic which is not
available to the modeling tool; for example, positioning, spacing and
routing of relations will respect some sense of aesthetic and organization
that are quite subjective. The only practical solution to untangle a
complex model is to split it into sub-models and use aliases to reference
tables in another sub-model.

Sébastien