Problem with initdb and ephemeral drives when rebooting

From: Sébastien Lorion <sl(at)thestrangefactory(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with initdb and ephemeral drives when rebooting
Date: 2012-08-29 14:38:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

When doing the setup for a benchmark of pgsql on an High IO instance of
Amazon, I got the following problem and was wondering if it is expected:

On FreeBSD 9.0 amd64, I installed PostgreSQL 9.1.5 on the boot drive (UFS),
created a ZFS pool using the 2 SSD drives (tank/db), chown pgsql tank/db,
ran initdb -D /tank/db as pgsql and all went well. When I rebooted the
instance, I tried to recreate the db in the same way, but I get the
following error:

FATAL: could not open file pg_xlog/000000010000000000000001

I searched a bit to find what could cause this, but did not find any useful
information.

Sébastien