Detecting change in event properties

From: Robert James <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Detecting change in event properties
Date: 2013-10-25 16:55:08
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a table of (timed) events, and I'm interested in marking events
whose properties have changed from the previous event.

I believe this can be done with window functions, but I'm not sure
how. What window function can give me a field from the _previous_
row?

(To elaborate, I'm interested in:
* Finding field x of the _previous_ row
* Finding field x of the _next_ row
* Finding field x of the _previous_ row that meets a certain criteria
(which the current row may or may not meet)
)

I must say that window functions are amazing - they're a whole new
world, really.