Understanding TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE

From: Robert James <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Understanding TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE
Date: 2013-01-18 17:31:47
Lists: pgsql-general

I'd like to better understand TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE.

My understanding is that, contrary to what the name sounds like, the
time zone is never stored. It simply stores a UTC timestamp,
identical to what TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE stores.

And then the only difference is that WITH TIME ZONE will allow you to
specify an offset in a literal value when INSERTing or UPDATEing ?
That sounds to me like a conversion or function - why is that a
different data type?