Re: Picking the first of an order in an aggregate query

From: Robert James <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jack Christensen <jack(at)jackchristensen(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Picking the first of an order in an aggregate query
Date: 2012-12-31 20:38:01
Lists: pgsql-general

DISTINCT is a very simple solution!
But I have one problem: In addition to the FIRST fields, I also do
want some aggregate functions. More accurately, it would be:

SELECT grouping_field, FIRST(field_a), FIRST(field_b), SUM(field_x),
MAX(field_y)

How should I do that? Should I do two queries with a join on the
grouping field? Or is there a more direct way?