Re: Slow down the server artificially in order to reduce transactional memory activity

From: Fernando Hevia <fhevia(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rene Romero Benavides <rene(dot)romero(dot)b(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow down the server artificially in order to reduce transactional memory activity
Date: 2014-04-04 18:05:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 12:31 AM, Rene Romero Benavides <
rene(dot)romero(dot)b(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Scenario:
> A database server living in a virtual machine. (KVM-RHEV)
> The virtual machine cannot be migrated live to another host due to
> intensive memory writing as depicted here
> http://pastebin.com/djj8q98j
>
> Problem:
> The database cannot be live-migrated
>
> Is there anything I can do to slow down memory writing at the database
> level in order to accomplish live migration?

Wrong list. This is a pgAdmin specific list.

Though I guess a possibility would be to setup a connection pooler between
your clients and Postgres and limit the number of concurrent connections to
the database to a very small number. This would effectively serialize your
operations, thereby reducing the activity on the VM.

Please don't follow up on this list. You can also try
pgsql-es-ayuda(at)postgresql(dot)org which is a general postgresql list in Spanish.

Cheers.