Re: Difficulties connecting pgAdmin 4.4.15 to Postgres RDS

From: Fernando Hevia <fhevia(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gus Spier <gus(dot)spier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Difficulties connecting pgAdmin 4.4.15 to Postgres RDS
Date: 2024-04-10 21:03:08
Lists: pgadmin-support

El mié, 10 abr 2024 a la(s) 5:04 p.m., Gus Spier (gus(dot)spier(at)gmail(dot)com)
escribió:

> 1. I am constrained to use pgAdmin 4.4.15. Upgrade is not an option
> 2. Conventional, command-line connection goes from my workstation, to
> PuTTY terminal on a "dmz", and from the dmz to an intermediate, client
> server. These values do establish a connection.
> Every attempt to connect via pgAdmin results in an error unable to
> connect to server: Failed to create the SSH Tunnel. Error: Could not
> establish session to SSH gateway
> 3. I use all the values from the command line connection in the pgAdmin
> connection ... but the failure persists.

I fail to grasp your network setup. Are there multiple ssh tunnels
involved? Maybe a diagram showing the networks, hosts and ip addresses
(using placeholders like a.a.a.a, a.a.a.b suffices) will enable us to
better understand the problem at hand.

> Is there some unanticipated setting in RDS that prevents this pgAdmin
> connection?

No, there isn't to my knowledge.
The error you provided denotes that pgAdmin isn't being able to create the
SSH tunnel to one of the intermediate hosts. It isn't even trying to reach
the database.
You must be making some mistake along the connection route.

Regards,
Fernando.