Re: Postgres 13 package on Debian 10 has unmet dependencies

From: Fernando Hevia <fhevia(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aaron Pavely <aaron(at)pavely(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 13 package on Debian 10 has unmet dependencies
Date: 2021-06-03 08:12:26
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

Thank you Aaron for your reply and pointing me to the appropriate
documentation.
It turns out there is no preference file on my system, which is supposed to
be a clean Debian 10.9 install. (Need to check with the servers team
though).

I managed to change the apt repository for libpq5 by creating a pgdg
preference file:

*# cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/pgdg.pref*
Package: *
Pin: release o=apt.postgresql.org
Pin-Priority: 991

*# apt-cache policy libpq5*
libpq5:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 13.3-1.pgdg100+1
Version table:
13.3-1.pgdg100+1 991
991 http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt buster-pgdg/main amd64
Packages
11.12-0+deb10u1 990
990 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main
amd64 Packages
11.11-0+deb10u1 990
990 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages

While this is an improvement over manually installing the desired version
of libpq5, I am still confused about why this pin-priority 990 is the
default in my box.

Thanks again for your support.
Best regards,
Fernando.