Protocol Question

From: Thomas Heller <info(at)zilence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Protocol Question
Date: 2014-08-11 14:03:58
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

I wrote a new Postgresql Client in Java to directly talk to the server
without the mess that is JDBC.

Anyways, I have a fairly low level Question:

The first 16 bits (well skip the first 40) in every DataRow ('D') packet
refer to the number of columns following. Is there any way that this number
is different from the number received in the RowDescription ('T')? I only
plan to supported the Extended Query flow, so I assume I'll always have
RowDescription first.

Currently I use an assert since I assume it always is the same, however I
only have tested with a very limited dataset so far.

Just curious if there are possible exceptions? I'd assume not, just sanity
checking.

Thanks,
/thomas

PS: Is there some sort of test-suite or dataset I could use to test my
client implementation?