Re: effective_io_concurrency on EBS/gp2

From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: hzzhangjiazhi <hzzhangjiazhi(at)corp(dot)netease(dot)com>
Cc: Vitaliy Garnashevich <vgarnashevich(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>, Rick Otten <rottenwindfish(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: effective_io_concurrency on EBS/gp2
Date: 2018-02-01 18:39:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:21 PM, hzzhangjiazhi
<hzzhangjiazhi(at)corp(dot)netease(dot)com> wrote:
> HI
>
> I think this parameter will be usefull when the storage using RAID
> stripe , otherwise turn up this parameter is meaningless when only has one
> device。

Not at all. Especially on EBS, where keeping a relatively full queue
is necessary to get max thoughput out of the drive.

Problem is, if you're scanning a highly correlated index, the
mechanism is counterproductive. I had worked on some POC patches for
correcting that, I guess I could work something out, but it's
low-priority for me. Especially since it's actually a kernel "bug" (or
shortcoming), that could be fixed in the kernel rather than worked
around by postgres.