Why can't we used CAPITAL LETTERS into replication slot_name?

From: Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Why can't we used CAPITAL LETTERS into replication slot_name?
Date: 2015-09-25 12:02:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I am just wondering why pg_create_physical_replication_slot() can't take
CAPITAL LETTERS into slot_name ?

Comment over ReplicationSlotValidateName() says that - Slot names may
consist out of [a-z0-9_]{1,NAMEDATALEN-1} which should allow the name to be
used as a directory name on every supported OS.

If its by design then was should atleast change the hint into
ReplicationSlotValidateName() which says: "Replication slot names may only
contain letters, numbers, and the underscore character."

Comments ?

Regards,
Rushabh Lathia
www.EnterpriseDB.com