feature request - update nowait

From: Eduardo Piombino <drakorg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: feature request - update nowait
Date: 2011-09-08 09:01:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi, would it be possible to implement a *nowait *modifier to the
*update*statement in order to tell it not to wait and raise an error
-just like a
select for update nowait would-, instead of defaulting to waiting forever
until the lock becomes available?

The lack of such a modifier nowadays forces me to do a select for update
before every update on which I need the fastest response possible, and it
would be great if it could be integrated into the command itself.

Just an idea.

Best regards,
Eduardo.