Re: Investigate postgres 9.6.3 repmgr lag 4.0.4

From: Flavio Henrique Araque Gurgel <fhagur(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>
Cc: Mariel Cherkassky <mariel(dot)cherkassky(at)gmail(dot)com>, repmgr(at)googlegroups(dot)com, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Investigate postgres 9.6.3 repmgr lag 4.0.4
Date: 2018-06-24 16:22:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

Em dom, 24 de jun de 2018 às 17:32, Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>
escreveu:

> On Jun 24, 2018, at 4:59 AM, Mariel Cherkassky <
> mariel(dot)cherkassky(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>

> Now, How can I further investigate it ? my wal_keep_segment is assigned to
> 100 but since friday 261 wals were generated so I guess I dont have another
> option but to sync the node again. However, I want to understand why it
> happened. What can you advice me to check ?
>

> What is the connectivity between the nodes, any firewalls? What’s the
> settings for wal_sender_timeout and wal_receiver_timeout? Why not use a
> replication slot or have it fail over to using the archived WALs instead of
> full database restore?
>
> There should be other messages in Postgresql logs.

Actually there are just two simple questions for the OP: Why you're not
running the latest 9.6 and why you're not using replication slots?

Since you'll have to recreate the lost standby, I strongly recommend going
for replication slots to avoid the situation of standby servers getting out
of sync, you won't need to mess with wal_keep_segments anymore.

Flavio Gurgel