Re: Failing example for to_number()

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Failing example for to_number()
Date: 2017-09-03 17:13:34
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 28 August 2017 at 22:53, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > On 21 August 2017 at 16:30, David G. Johnston <
> david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > wrote:

> be
>
> >> If one wants to try the example in a language other than in which the
> >> example was written they should modify it so that the literal number
> being
> >> parsed in written in conformance to the locale definition for the
> language
> >> you are using.
>
> > I guess there should be some more explanation.
>
> Yeah. How about adding something like this to the "Usage notes for
> numeric formatting" between tables 9-26 and 9-27:
>
> * The pattern characters S, L, D, and G represent the sign,
> currency symbol, decimal point, and thousands separator characters
> defined by the current locale (see lc_monetary and lc_numeric).
> The pattern characters period and comma represent those exact
> characters, with the meanings of decimal point and thousands
> separator, regardless of locale.

That should help to clear up some confusion, especially for to_number(). I
suggest some minor modifications:

* The pattern characters S, L, D, and G represent the sign,
currency symbol, decimal point, and group separator characters
defined by the current locale (see lc_monetary and lc_numeric).
The pattern characters period (.) and comma (,) represent decimal
point and group
separator, regardless of locale.

Regards
Erwin Brandstetter