Re: count() counts ROW values that are NULL

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: count() counts ROW values that are NULL
Date: 2022-03-18 22:05:33
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 at 22:28, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> >
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-aggregate.html#FUNCTIONS-AGGREGATE-TABLE
> > The manual says:
> >> count ( "any" ) → bigint
> >> Computes the number of input rows in which the input value is not null.
>
> > But ROW values or composite types that "are null" are counted, anyway.
>
> Well, there's nulls and nulls. The SQL "IS NULL" construct is fairly
> badly designed IMO, because it considers both a plain NULL and a
> row-of-all-NULL-fields to be "null". count(), like just about everything
> in Postgres other than "IS NULL", considers only a plain NULL to be null.
>
> This is discussed somewhere in the manual, but I think it's under IS NULL,
> not under all the other places that'd have to be annotated if we decide to
> annotate as you're suggesting. (One example is that functions that are
> marked STRICT use the tighter interpretation.)
>
> You could use "COUNT(*) FILTER (WHERE NOT (whatever IS NULL))" if you want
> to count values meeting the IS NULL definition. (Buttressing my point
> that IS NULL is not well thought out, the obvious "whatever IS NOT NULL"
> doesn't work here, because it's not the inverse of "whatever IS NULL".)

I am aware of the mess, and I feel your pain (and my own).
But count(<expression>) is among the most frequently used functions, and
hardly any user reading the manual will be aware of the implications. Maybe
just:

... in which the input value is not null (does not evaluate to a scalar
NULL).

To give them a fighting chance.

Regards

Erwin