Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jacob Champion <jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Date: 2024-06-12 12:09:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 12 Jun 2024 at 01:48, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> If we're going to test in a non-Perl language, I'd pick C over Python.
> <snip>
> We'd need a library like today's Perl
> PostgreSQL::Test to make C-language tests nice, but the same would apply to
> any new language.

P.P.S. We already write tests in C, we use it for testing libpq[1].
I'd personally definitely welcome a C library to make those tests
nicer to write, because I've written a fair bit of those in the past
and currently it's not very fun to do.

[1]: https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/master/src/test/modules/libpq_pipeline/libpq_pipeline.c