Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest
Date: 2024-08-14 22:40:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'd like to send an automatic mail to a thread whenever it gets added
to a commitfest. Since this would impact everyone that's subscribed to
the mailinglist I'd like some feedback on this. This mail would
include:

1. A very short blurb like: "This thread was added to the commitfest
with ID 1234"
2. A link to the commitfest entry
3. A link to the cfbot CI runs
4. A link to the diff on GitHub
5. Any other suggestions?

The main reason I'm proposing this is that currently it's not trivial
to go from an email in my inbox to the commitfest entry. This can be
especially hard to do when the subject of the email is not the same as
the title of the commitfest entry. This then in turn increases the
barrier for people to change the commitfest status, to look at the CI
results, or look at the diff on GitHub. I also had once that I
accidentally added a thread twice to the commitfest, because I forgot
I had already added it a while back.

To be clear, this would **not** be a repeat email. It would be sent
only once per thread, i.e. it is sent when the thread is added to a
commitfest entry. So there won't be a flood of new emails you'll
receive.

Also the github link does not allow comments to be posted to github,
it's read-only. An example being:
https://github.com/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/compare/cf/5025~1...cf/5025