Re: sunsetting md5 password support

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sunsetting md5 password support
Date: 2024-10-10 21:59:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 10 Oct 2024 at 23:45, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
> I wouldn't recommend it if SCRAM is available, but yeah, with TLS and
> sslmode=verify-full, it's secure enough.

Agreed, I'd definitely still recommend SCRAM over password. A big
downside of "password" auth over TLS is that plaintext passwords get
to the server, so a coredump would contain these passwords.

Also, I wanted to call out that SCRAM still needs sslmode=verify-full
to be fully secure. With the SCRAM hash of the server, together with a
MITM between client and server, an attacker can impersonate the client
without the client or server realizing. PgBouncer actually does this:
https://www.pgbouncer.org/config.html#limitations