Re: Detailed release notes

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Detailed release notes
Date: 2024-09-18 10:15:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 18 Sept 2024 at 11:26, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

> On 2024-Sep-17, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I think trying to add text to each item is both redundant and confusing,
> > because I am guessing that many people will not even know what a commit
> > is, and will be confused by clicking on the link.
>
> Uh, I 100% disagree that Postgres users reading the release notes would
> not know what a commit is.

+1, IMO it seems completely reasonable to assume that anyone
interested enough in postgres to read the release notes also knows
what a commit is.

> IMO we should be looking at a more surgical approach to implement this,
> perhaps using a custom SGML tag and some custom XSLT code to process
> such tags that adds links the way we want, rather than generic <ulink>
> tags. Or maybe <ulink> is OK if we add some class to it that XSLT knows
> to process differently than generic ulinks, like func_table_entry and
> catalog_table_entry.

Is it easy to just remove/hide the links completely from the PDF? I
doubt many people read the release notes by going to Appendix E in the
PDF anyway.

It seems a shame to remove those links from the HTML view where they
look acceptable and which most people will use, just because they look
bad in the pdf. And honestly, they don't even look that terrible in
the PDF imo.