Re: Backup error

From: Shreeyansh dba <shreeyansh2014(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: "Celso Vieira *EXTERN*" <sabd(dot)secinfo(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup error
Date: 2014-10-03 13:15:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
wrote:

> Celso Vieira wrote:
> > Hello, I have online backup done as follows:
> > - pg_start_backup ...
> > - scp datafiles ...
> > - pg_stop_backup ...
> > - scp data archives needed
> > - Adjust recovery.conf
> > - Start postgres
> >
> > The backup takes 4 hours.
> >
> > Bank goes live, but after several mistakes, as do routine reindex on all
> tables.
> >
> > But I had followed errors duplication of primary key in the tables, and
> this prevents the reindex.
> > Already tried vacuumdb these cases, but does not solve.
> > The index remains active and to query the table, the sql uses the index
> and returns only one line, but
> > when reading the table without index (use id + 1 so it will read the
> table without index), two values ​
> > appear. How can one have 2 primary key values ​​in the table?
> > I wonder if it is acceptable to do online backup using pg_start_backup,
> scp, pg_stop_backup in version
> > 9.3.4? This type of backup is correct? Inform you that the same error
> occurred in the use of
> > pg_basebackup in version 9.2.4. I thought it was bug application.
> > Summarizing the questions:
> > - Is right back up with pg_start_backup, scp, pg_stop_backup?
> > - Why postgres duplicates primary keys when the backup is done via
> scp, and even pg_basebackup?
> >
> > This operation is made to duplicate the database, but my concern is that
> our model is not reliable
> > backup.
>
> Your backup procedure looks correct.
> I guess you waited for pg_start_backup to finish before you started
> copying, right?
> Where there any error messages from scp?
> One thing I don't know for sure is how scp behaves when a file it copies
> is modified
> concurrently, so there *might* be a problem.
>
> Can you verify that the duplicate primary keys do not exist in the
> original database?
>
> Does the backup generated with scp contain a file "backup_label"? It
> should.
>
> Were there any crashes or hardware problems on the original database
> machine?
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

I suspect that primary key might not working on the table so it might have
allowed duplication during insertion.

And also I suspect whether script is overriding the backup.

Thanks & Regards
Venkataramana Aitla
www.shreeyansh.com