Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access

From: Jan Wieck <jan(at)wi3ck(dot)info>
To: Tobias Wendorff <tobias(dot)wendorff(at)tu-dortmund(dot)de>
Cc: "Inoue, Hiroshi" <h-inoue(at)dream(dot)email(dot)ne(dot)jp>, pgsql-odbc(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NUMERIC type makes trouble in MS Access
Date: 2018-05-30 13:52:14
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Tobias,

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 5:43 PM, Tobias Wendorff <
tobias(dot)wendorff(at)tu-dortmund(dot)de> wrote:

> Dear Jan,
>
> Am So, 27.05.2018, 23:22 schrieb Jan Wieck:
> >
> > Nope, please read that again and then compare that statement to
> > what you wrote about the "commercial" driver (using double) and
> > your suggestion to have a switch to make the PostgreSQL ODBC
> > driver do the same (nonsense).
>
> I'm asking you not to be condescending with people who come to
> this mailing list with a problem. Not all the members on this
> lists senior postgres architects, some are just normal users.

sorry if that came across as condescending. It wasn't meant as such.

> My idea for this "nonsense" switch just was a workaround for bad
> designed databases schemas or for compatibility reasons with rarely
> used closed source applications, such as Microsoft Access.

In my opinion such broad "switches", that then silently mangle over all
data, are dangerous at best.

Where is the difference between truncating a number and truncating a date
to stop PostgreSQL from complaining about February 31st when importing data
from MySQL? Or a switch for the Oracle FDW to replace NUL bytes in VARCHAR2
columns with \x00 sequences?

The only difference I can see is that one is out of PostgreSQL, the other
two are into.

Regards, Jan

--
Jan Wieck