Re: postgresql definitive list of network resources used/needed?

From: richard coleman <rcoleman(dot)ascentgl(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql definitive list of network resources used/needed?
Date: 2022-08-11 13:17:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

David,

Thank you for your input.

Is it correct to state that (barring the soon to be obsolete stats
collector):

- PostgreSQL only uses the configured port, who's default is 5432, via
tcp
- outgoing connections are all tcp and use random ports
- none of the other intrinsic features; replication, pg_dump,
pg_basebackup, pg_restore, etc. use any other network ports
- network ports used by extensions, even if included in the base
install, are beyond the scope of PostgreSQL documentation

Thanks again,
rik.