Re: pgadmin4 - Use classic style interface, don't launch browser?

From: richard coleman <rcoleman(dot)ascentgl(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Avin Kavish <avinkavish(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: tutiluren(at)tutanota(dot)com, Mark Murawski <markm-lists(at)intellasoft(dot)net>, "pgadmin-support lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgadmin4 - Use classic style interface, don't launch browser?
Date: 2019-07-27 19:36:51
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Avin,

My $0.02

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 2:11 PM Avin Kavish <avinkavish(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Here's some unofficial input on the topic.
>
> This request baffles me for two reasons.
>
> a. Why does one need a standalone window when they can have pgAdmin open
> in a tab while multi-tasking. Is there ever a time when the web browser is
> closed while using a pc in 2019? If you lose tabs you can pin the tab and
> it will always be on the left side.

quite often actually. I have *lots* of work to do that doesn't involve a
web browser.

> b. If you want it to run in it's own window, you can drag and pull the tab
> to it's own standalone window.

pulling the tab out wouldn't do *anything* toward solving his problem,
which revolved around password management

> If that doesn't solve your problem,
>
> You can try Nativefier but you might need to launch pgAdmin on the same
> port each time. It basically wraps any web site in an electron app.
> Electron fyi allows developing desktop apps using web technologies. It's
> based on chromium and nodejs and renders web apps just like google chrome
> would. https://github.com/jiahaog/nativefier

so he would need to install nodejs, npm, nativefier, either open a command
line/terminal every time he wants to start pgAdmin4 or write a batch/shell
script to start it. He would also have to remember to start the pgAdmin
*server* separately and forget about using the "New pgAdmin window"
function. To add insult to injury, he'd have to have
separate scripts/commands if he should want a tray icon or to run it full
screen.

> Or if you are a javascript developer you can write an electron app
> yourself to encapsulate and extend upon the current functionality.
> https://electronjs.org/

so, your final suggestion is that, *if* he's a javascript developer he
could simply *write his own program* to fix a perceived pgAdmin4
shortcoming.

> Personally, I find it convenient to have it as a tab while reading docs
> and other stuff and often prefer it to switching to my IDE.
>
> I'm glad that you find the current set up convenient, unfortunately it
seems like this is a problem for at least Mark and tutiluren.

> Once again, this is unofficial. I'm not part of the team.

neither am I.

Personally I have my own issues with the decision to write pgAdmin4 as a *web
app* running in it's own self contained web server. However I don't think
that there is much of a desire among the *official* dev team to change this.

rik.