Re: Either Find does not work or I don't know how to make it work

From: richard coleman <rcoleman(dot)ascentgl(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Malik Rumi <malik(dot)a(dot)rumi(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Either Find does not work or I don't know how to make it work
Date: 2019-02-18 13:28:30
Lists: pgadmin-support

Malik,

As I had mentioned before, the *find* function *doesn't *work as a 'find my
data' type of search function. I will admit that the View/Edit Data ->
Filtered rows functionality really does need some work. Not only is the
Query Editor portion *read only* for some reason, it removes much of the
impetus for having a GUI in that you need to remember and correctly spell
the field names you are looking for. All it does is present you with a *read
only* "SELECT * FROM <table_name> WHERE " <data from the text box that you
had entered>" Query Editor. Personally I just create *editable* query
windows by using the *Query Tool* menu option. The only use *I* have for
the *find* functionality presently available in pgAdmin4 is when I have a
very long query in an *editable* Query Editor where I want to either find a
particular string, or replace a bunch of them, such as replacing all
1/1/2017 with 1/1/2018, *and* I don't mind dealing with the disappearing
find/replace GUI. Otherwise I simply copy my query into a more capable
text editor, do all of my find/replace operations and past it back into an
*editable* query editor.

You might want to submit a bug/feature request on the official RedMine site
to deal with the above issues.

I wish I better news.

rik.