SQL_ASCII support (or lack thereof)

From: richard coleman <rcoleman(dot)ascentgl(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL_ASCII support (or lack thereof)
Date: 2018-05-17 14:06:03
Lists: pgadmin-support

Why is pgAdmin 4 so hostile to SQL_ASCII databases?

We have several production databases dating back to 9.1 that are SQL_ASCII
encoding but in pgAdmin4 I am constantly having to *clean up* non *UTF8* data.
The same data works just fine in the pgAdmin3 series.

Running the same query in psql yields the expected results, but in this
case I get:

"ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xc9 0x4f
SQL state: 22021"

in pgAdmin4.

If I remove the offending characters then pgAdmin4 returns a result set.
The database is SQL_ASCII encoded, pgAdmin4 *shouldn't care* that there are
non UTF8 characters present.

Thanks,

rik.