Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL

From: James Keener <jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL
Date: 2016-07-28 13:45:19
Lists: pgsql-general

If we're talking about favourite bug https://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=21153
is mine

Join with many tables hangs mysql (and taking 100% cpu)
> the following query hangs the mysql server taking 100% cpu. also an
> "explain" of the query hangs the server!

It's "not a bug" because you can change some of the default query planning
parameters to avoid it:

Igor Babaev
> This is not a bug.
> The reported query is a 18-way join. For such queries we expect that the
> full search for the best execution plan will take a significant amount of
> time.
> At the same due to a specific structure of the reported query we can hope
> to get a good execution plan with a limited search (see Manual 5.0: 7.5.3.
> Controlling Query Optimizer Performance).
> Setting the value of the global variable 'optimizer_search_depth' to 4 or
> even to 2 we can get the same execution plan as with a full search. Yet it
> will take much less time:

To me that speaks volumes. Sure, you can tweak a db params to get better
performance, but I shouldn't have to deviate from the default for it to
simply work at all!

Jim