Re: Recommended way to copy database files on Windows OS (to perform file system level backup)

From: James Keener <jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com>
To: Yashwanth Govinda Setty <ygovindasetty(at)commvault(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Girish Rao <grao(at)commvault(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Recommended way to copy database files on Windows OS (to perform file system level backup)
Date: 2018-05-14 13:43:36
Lists: pgsql-general

A bit of pedanticism:

> So we would like to know how you recommend copying PostgreSQL database
files in Windows OS to perform file system level backups.

(For Example – The recommended way in Linux is to use tar format.)

That is not what a file-system-level back up is, and not what tar does at
all. Tar basically creates a file that contains other files, and would be
subject to the same issues a copy would be.

A file-system level backup is just that, a backup done by the file system
itself, usually via an atomic snapshot. LVM, ZFS, and BTFS are all capable
of doing this in Linux and *BSD. The filesystem will store the current
state of the filesystem somewhere in an atomic manner, i.e. nothing else
happens when the snapshot is made.

I think NTFS can do volume shadow copies, but I havn't used windows in
perhaps a decade and have never done so as an admin or professionally.

Jim