Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Feature #4202 Implement new framework to test Reverse Engineering SQL

From: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Feature #4202 Implement new framework to test Reverse Engineering SQL
Date: 2019-06-17 07:18:58
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 11:54 AM Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Dave/Hackers
>
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 6:10 PM Akshay Joshi <
> akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 1:59 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> Nice!
>>>
>>> A few comments:
>>>
>>> - The scenario name should be "Reverse Engineered SQL Test Cases"
>>> - After the scenario name is output, can we output a \n so the next line
>>> isn't appended to the name?
>>>

>> Will fix the above.
>>
>>> - How do we run only the re_sql tests? I tried the obvious ways
>>> (e.g. python runtests.py --pkg
>>> regression.re_sql.tests.test_resql.ReverseEngineeringSQLTestCase) but got
>>> errors. Please add an example to web/regression/README.
>>>

>> It is not a pgadmin module and we have kept it in regression folder,
>> so will have to change the existing code. I have tried but facing issues
>> when run only "regression.re_sql.tests", will continue working on this.
>>

> Can we add a new parameter to --pkg "*resql*" to run all the
> reverse engineered test cases for all the modules, it just like parameter "
> *all*" which is used to run all the regression tests. Following will be
> the scenario if we add new parameter:
>
> - If we run --pkg all, run all the API and resql test cases.
> - If we run --pkg <module list>, run the API and resql test cases for
> the specified module list
> - if we run --pkg resql, run all the resql test cases only.
>
> How about using the command line options '--only-resql', and '--no-resql'
for the same?
* If we run the test suite with '--only-resql', it should run only the test
cases for the reverse engineering sql for all or selected packages
specified by '--pkg'.
* If we run the test suite with '--no-resql', no test cases for the reverse
engineering sql should be running.
* By default, test suite should run the test cases for reverse engineering
sql too.

NOTE: '--only-resql', and '--no-resql' must not be specified together.

Let's leave the command line option '--pkg' for selecting the packages
only.

-- Thanks, Ashesh