Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Fixed RM 1603 & RM 1220

From: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Fixed RM 1603 & RM 1220
Date: 2016-10-15 03:56:33
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 4:59 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Friday, October 14, 2016, Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)
> com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please find the attached patch to fix the below 2 bugs.
>>
>> RM 1603: [Web Based] Export database failed if object contains double
>> quotes.
>> RM 1220: Backup database is not working with special characters
>>
>> The issues which were fixed:
>>
>> 1. Client side data were not unescaped
>> 2. Required command line arguments were quoted twice
>>

> This is not working for me: I tested using Table Export as per Fahar's
> instructions. As I'm in desktop mode, the first problem was that we get an
> error at line 210 of import_export/__init__.py, because
> get_server_directory returned None for the directory. If I fix that, then
> the job says it's created, but as far as I can see, nothing else happens.

hmm..

> Secondly, this patch seems to push quoting responsibilty to the front end.

No - that's not the case, we're using _.escape(..) function on the node's
label to fix the issue of XSS vulnerability on client side.
Hence - during sending back the data, we're using _.unescape(..) function
to return the same data coming sent by the server.

Though - IIRC - we have a original label stored in another variable
'_label', which we can use it instead of unescape it again.

> This doesn't seem right, because we might want to use the RESTful APIs for
> another purpose in the future, which would mean needing to re-implement
> quoting if something else uses an affected API.

As I explained above, it wont affect the RESTful API.

--
Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi