Re: PATCH: RM #4778 - Query Plan Analyser

From: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: RM #4778 - Query Plan Analyser
Date: 2019-10-03 12:24:11
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 5:01 PM Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 4:54 PM Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Team,
>>
>> I've implemented the query plan analyzer having similar functionality as
>> explain.depsez.com.
>>
>> It now creates three tabs under the 'Explain' panel.
>> Graphical
>> -> Graphical Explain Plan
>> Table (similar to explain.depsez.com)
>> -> Table to analyse the plan in details.
>> -> Each row represents the statistics per Explain Node
>> -> It may contains columns like node information, exclusive timing (time
>> spent for this explain node excluding the child nodes), inclusive timing,
>> actual rows, plan rows, rowsx (misestimation between planned vs actual
>> rows), loop
>> -> Background color of exclusive, inclusive, rows changes based on their
>> values.
>> i.e.
>> if Percentage of exclusive, and inclusive timings of total query time is
>> > 90 - Red Color
>> > 50 - Orange (Between Red & Yellow Color)
>> > 10 - Yellow color
>> if planner misestimation for the rows is
>> > 1000 times - Red Color
>> > 100 times - Orange (Between Red & Yellow Color)
>> > 10 times - Yellow Color
>> Also - if actual rows >= plan rows then it shows up arrow, , else it
>> shows down arrow.
>>
>> Statistics
>> -> It contains a HTML table for the statistics per Node Type, and a HTML
>> table for the statistics per table.
>>

>> Please review it.
>>
> Please find the patch for the same.

Please find the updated patch after fixing two issues in statistics panel:
- Percentage was calculated based on 'Actual Total Time', which is
inclusive time, and was giving wrong results.
- Count column values should be right aligned.

-- Ashesh

-- Ashesh

>> --
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>>
>> Ashesh Vashi
>> EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>> <http://www.enterprisedb.com>
>>

>> *http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi*
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi>

Attachment Content-Type Size
explain_v5.patch application/octet-stream 1.1 MB