Re: Enabling debugger plugin on pgAdmin III

From: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "M(dot) Matt Dugan" <matt(at)edgle(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enabling debugger plugin on pgAdmin III
Date: 2015-04-07 16:57:07
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 10:14 PM, M. Matt Dugan <matt(at)edgle(dot)com> wrote:

> Upon many attempts and hours of search on the help pages as well as the
> internet, I have not been successful to enable the debugger plugin on
> pgAdmin III on Windows 7. Here are the things I have done.
>
> 1) As suggested on C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\doc\installation-notes.html; I edited the
> postgresql.conf file that was in the data directory as:
>
> shared_preload_libraries = '$libdir/plugin_debugger.dll' (I made sure to
> removed #) (I tried this both by editing the conf file manually and (in a
> separate trial) by using the GUI provided by pgAdmin.
>
> 2) I stopped and started the postgresql-x64-9.3 service (which
> successfully did). I restarted pgAdmin.
>
> 3) On the psql shell, I ran command 'show shared_preload_libraries' and I
> did see '$libdir/plugin_debugger.dll' there.
>
> 4) On the pgAdmin III, I ran the script '*CREATE EXTENSION pldbgapi;*',
> which created the module under 'Extensions'. Which also added 22 new
> functions.
>
> However, I am still unable to see the debug option in the context menu
> (see the screenshot below) of the functions, and the 'debugging' menu under
> 'tools' is still inactive.
>
> My current configuration is pgAdmin III: 1.18.1, PostGRE SQL 9.3.6 windows
> x64.
>
> I have also tried PostGRE SQL 9.4.1 (both 32 bit and 64 bit windows
> versions) prior to this (which included pgAdmin III 1.20 I believe).

On which database, did you create the pldbgapi extension?
It must be on the maintenance database. (i.e. postgres).

FYI - maintenance database is the one, which was selected in the "Server
Properties Dialog" during a server registration.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
<http://www.enterprisedb.com>

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi*