Re: Debugging Failed Startup

From: Ray Cote <rgacote(at)appropriatesolutions(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Debugging Failed Startup
Date: 2019-05-02 20:20:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 4:12 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 2019-May-02, Ray Cote wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have a hint on how I'd go about debugging why PostgreSQL 11
> is
> > not starting on CentOS 7?
> > Was running fine for several weeks then fails to come up after a reboot.
>
> How are you getting it started after the reboot? If you're not using
> systemd facilities (eg. if you're calling pg_ctl on your own script),
> systemd may be getting confused about what's the status of the service
> and stopping it on its own.

systemctl start postgresql-11
Plus I've run systemctl enable postgresql-11

> Also, what are the timestamp differences between the final "redirecting
> log output" line and the "Failed to start" lines?

0 second difference.

Not sure what's happend. Re-installed a second time. Now it has survived
pass three reboots and seems happy. Was just odd that there wasn't any
error message as to why it failed.

As an aside to the person asking about changing back the hostname.
I re-installed using the new hostname and it still failed once.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
Seems to be happy again.
--Ray

> --
> Álvaro Herrera https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Raymond Cote, President
voice: +1.603.924.6079 email: rgacote(at)AppropriateSolutions(dot)com skype:
ray.cote
Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/ray_cote/60min/