Connection Types with Logical Replication functions

From: Scott Laird <slaird2016(at)fau(dot)edu>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Connection Types with Logical Replication functions
Date: 2023-05-19 18:22:49
Lists: psycopg

Hi, I was curious about the usage of synchronous connections with
read_message. The documentation says that consume_message should be used
with synchronous connections and that read_message is for async
connections. I noticed during development that you could call read_message
on a synchronous connection and was curious about the repercussions - if
any - would be. Would it make sense to implement a check on calling
read_message to make sure that an async connection is set? Thanks!