Re: What limits Postgres performance when the whole database lives in cache?

From: Nicolas Grilly <nicolas(at)gardentechno(dot)com>
To: dandl <david(at)andl(dot)org>
Cc: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What limits Postgres performance when the whole database lives in cache?
Date: 2016-09-08 08:15:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 2:35 AM, dandl <david(at)andl(dot)org> wrote:

> I understand that. What I'm trying to get a handle on is the magnitude of
> that cost and how it influences other parts of the product, specifically
> for Postgres. If the overhead for perfect durability were (say) 10%, few
> people would care about the cost. But Stonebraker puts the figure at 2500%!
> His presentation says that a pure relational in-memory store can beat a row
> store with disk fully cached in memory by 10x to 25x. [Ditto column stores
> beat row stores by 10x for complex queries in non-updatable data.]

VoltDB replication is synchronous in the same cluster/data center, and
asynchronous with a remote cluster/data center. As a consequence, if your
application needs to survive a data center power failure with zero data
loss, then you have to enable VoltDB's synchronous command logging (which
by the way is not available in the Community Edition — only in the
Enterprise Edition). When Stonebraker says VoltDB's throughput is 10~25x
greater, I'd guess this is with no command logging at all, and no periodic
snapshotting.

So my question is not to challenge the Postgres way. It's simply to ask
> whether there are any known figures that would directly support or refute
> his claims. Does Postgres really spend 96% of its time in thumb-twiddling
> once the entire database resides in memory?

Alas, I've been unable to find any relevant benchmark. I'm not motivated
enough to install a PostgreSQL and VoltDB and try it for myself :-)