Re: Postgres Women talk at pgconfeu

From: Renee Phillips <renee(dot)phillips(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Valeria Kaplan <vk(at)dataegret(dot)com>
Cc: Lætitia Avrot <laetitia(dot)avrot(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-women(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Women talk at pgconfeu
Date: 2019-06-10 20:10:46
Lists: pgsql-women

I would add a question about first language (because the assumption of
English as default is understandable but there may be some bias in events
as a result)

On Jun 10, 2019, at 10:07 AM, Valeria Kaplan <vk(at)dataegret(dot)com> wrote:

Hi Lætitia and Ilaria / All,

Sounds like a great idea.
I think maybe it would be even more impactful to do an online survey to see
how *actually* diverse we are in numbers?

You might have planned this anyway, but here just an idea. You could do a
few pools through the Postgres Women Twitter handle for example to ask the
community questions:
1. which sex you relate to? (you'll need to think about how to phrase it
correctly);
2. where where you born?;
3. where do you live?
4. would you consider yourself having a disability?
...and other diversity questions)
and then visualise it in your presentation alongside statistics about IT
community as a whole (or whatever stats on IT community you will be able to
find.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/5-eye-opening-statistics-about-minorities-in-tech/
might
be useful as a starting point.) I think this will help to see whether
PostgreSQL community is reflective of a broader IT groups etc.
Of course, it would only be a sample and not everyone is on Twitter etc.
However, that will be a relatively painless way to get good number of

Would be glad to hear what you think.
I'll be in Milano btw.

Valeria

*Valeria Kaplan*Marketing Director