Re: Decreasing the data loss after failover

From: Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>
To: sinasaharkhiz <sinas1991(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Decreasing the data loss after failover
Date: 2015-06-06 04:14:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 12:09 AM, Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 8:47 PM, sinasaharkhiz <sinas1991(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your answer.
>> This will not work for my situation. Because the hard disk of my server is
>> failed and the only data I got are the wal files transferred to my backup
>> server and I can only perform my recovery process with base backup and wal
>> files stored by barman.
>> PS: I'm trying to use a specific archive_timeout (less than 15 minutes) to
>> see how that will affect the backup size.
>>
>> Sina
>>

>> --
>>

> I'm not sure how you set Barman up, but it should have been backing up
> your WAL files as well as performing base backups of your data. Part of the
> Barman setup is configuring your archive_command. Wherever this points to
> is where your missing WAL files should have gone. If you don't have those
> WAL files, or know where Barman was saving them, then you may be out of
> luck on that missing data. If the built in restore commands did not bring
> things back up to the way you expected them, I'd take a closer look and
> make sure Barman was actually doing proper backups.
>
> What version of PostgreSQL are you running? If you're on 9.0+, you should
> be using streaming replication instead of WAL shipping. Otherwise your
> slave will only ever be as caught up as fast as you can ship WAL files
> over. This was a severe limitation in older versions of Postgres that has
> been overcome for nearly 5 years now.
>
> Also, if you're not running 9.0+, you're out of support and no longer
> receiving security and bug fix updates, which should be of great concern if
> you're handling financial data.
>
> I would also encourage you to read up on how to manually perform backup &
> recovery with the tools that PostgreSQL comes with. Be sure you understand
> everything in this section of the PostgreSQL documentation (note this is
> for 9.4): http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/backup.html. Pay
> particular attention to basebackups & wal archiving. Barman is a nice tool,
> but it really hides a lot of important steps that you need to know to
> understand how to perform recovery in a disaster situation. If you don't
> understand what it's doing under the hood, you'll very likely be in this
> predicament again because if its built in recovery script doesn't work,
> then you're left not knowing what to do.
>
> --
> Keith Fiske
> Database Administrator
> OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc.
> http://www.keithf4.com

Sorry, nevermind on the streaming replication stuff. For some reason when I
was writing the response, I had in my head that you did a failover to a
slave, not a backup recovery.

Another thing you may want to look at is the archive_timeout value. If your
database didn't do enough writes to fill a WAL file (16MB), it would not
have written out a new WAL file unless you have the archive_timeout set.
That ensures a WAL file is always written at least that often.