Question regarding writes when locking rows

From: Martin Querleu <martinquerleu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question regarding writes when locking rows
Date: 2023-08-23 09:19:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello all

We are developping a software that has a lot of concurrent transactions so
we use a lot row locking (SELECT.. FOR SHARE/UPDATE) and we are
experiencing high disk write rates on large read queries.

As I understand the tuple is updated every time a lock is put on it (then
page becomes dirty and at some point is written to the disk)
Is there any way to prevent the writing to the disk since this information
is temporary? Is there any system for caching the rows locks in RAM in
PostgreSQL? Is increasing shared_buffers a solution since it contains the
cached rows or is it only a read-purpose caching?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge on the subject

Have a nice day
Martin